Tuesday, June 10, 2008

What's the deal?

A friend asked me that the other day (I shortened it a lot) She wanted to know more exactly what she would be donating to if she were to help fund this summer, to make sure that WH wasn't taking part in some stuff that she (and I) doesn't support. It made my day to have someone check up on what the goal of my summer in Haiti is going to be. So here's what this work with World Hope is about. It's going to be a little long because there's just a lot going into it, plus I want to explain well where I'm coming from.

WH is a faith-based relief and development agency. They don't barge into a community demanding that people convert to Christianity; I don't agree with that approach and definitely wouldn't want to spend my time doing that. Instead, the goal is to serve and to help in areas where local people recognize a need within their community; while letting people know why we're doing it. And we're doing it because we're Christians.

So the community in Petite Goave knows that World Hope programs and such are coming from a group of Christians, they know that we're there because we're Christians and what we stand for, but there's definitely nothing even close to strong-arming people into conversion. Christianity should never be forced on a person. And the question that my friend asked is such a good one for everyone to ask when they encounter it - how are faith-based groups and missions teams going about thier work? Especially if you're a Christian, please look into the groups that you support or are involved with; looking to see if they do things from a Bible-based approach and with a Christ-like attitude!

Sure, I'd love for people to experience the kind of relationship with God that I do because I can't imagine living without it. God is the most important part of my life. Yeah, I get excited when people accept Christ because that means they get to have that relationship that I know is so important in my own life. But I'm never going to force that on someone. From start to finish, that's a choice that everyone will deal with personally. My role and purpose is to live out my faith boldly and to be unashamed about letting people know what Christ has done and that a personal relationship with Christ is a real possibility for anyone. And the 'living it out boldly' is a major part of the whole Haiti thing - this is getting a bit long, so more on that on the next post!

No comments: