Thursday, June 12, 2008

More steady than a mountain


Going home always means I get to be in the mountains. It's something that I know will be part of each return because you really wouldn't be able to avoid them if you tried.


I drove up to Ouray (in the picture) with some of my family today to meet up with my aunt and uncle who are visiting... Sometimes I think that the mountains where I grew up are so pretty I might just die. As in, I might forget to breathe because I'm so absorbed in this beautiful creation in front of me. So it's a good thing that's involuntary (breathing, that is). Or the sight may just be too much for my eyes to take in, and one day I'll look at a mountain and will simply explode - with joy - but explode, nonetheless. And while niether of those scenarios are going to happen, one can see how they could seem like a possibility. So if the mountains stir up such awe and wonder, how much more so should the Creator who made them and will outlast them?


God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging. Selah
Psalm 46:1-3


Even when something that is so strong and enduring and beautiful falls to pieces, whether it's a steady mountain or a steady hope or any other steady-fill-in-the-blank that we hang on to or count on; God was there before it and is still going to be there when it breaks up and washes away. So there you go - there's something more steady than a mountain.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

I agree! Check out the blog I wrote on a similar topic (I favor waterfalls ;) )

http://ryanrandomthoughts.blogspot.com/2008/06/waterfalls.html

Glad to see you're having a good time back home :)


-Ryan Spilhaus